Looking to create a bubble of comfort inside your vehicle? The first step is a sound deadener like our Spectrum Sludge, the thickest noise and vibration paste on the market. We combine our proprietary Spectrum formula with an activator to change the viscosity from a chocolate syrup to more like peanut butter, all engineered to absorb vibration energy and reduce the transmission of structure borne noise in vehicles.
- High heat, water based viscoelastic paste
- Choose your thickness. Apply up to 2mm per layer
- Excellent for hard to reach parts of your vehicle (undercarriage, wheel wells)
- Comes with 2 containers – 1 gallon of Spectrum and 1 bottle of Sludge Activator
- Temperature rated up to 400 F
- Apply with a paint brush, putty knife, trowel, or gloved hand
- Made in the USA
- Clean up with water within 30 minutes of application. Do not wait longer or Spectrum Sludge will dry.
- If applying multiple layers of Spectrum Sludge, wait 30-60 minutes for the product to cure and change color from blue to black.
- Spectrum Sludge is designed to adhere to metal. Do not apply to plastic or fiberglass without the proper primer. If applying to a high gloss wax coat, you must sand down and apply a primer.
- Do not freeze Spectrum Sludge! If it does freeze, do not mix, shake, or move until it has completely thawed.
- Wait 24 hours before putting upholstery back in the vehicle. Wait 7 to 10 days before painting or applying a bed liner.
- Spectrum Sludge is not a bed liner. Even after it has cured, it can be damaged by heavy impact.
- Shelf life of 1 year when stored at room temperature
Recommended Install Locations
- Doors - outer and inner door skin
- Floor - front firewall all the way back to the rear deck seat wall
- Firewall - cabin or engine side
- Trunk - floor, walls, lid, spare tire area, and wheel wells
- Roof - front windshield to back windshield
- Hood - entire lid
- Undercarriage - undercoat entire exterior
Spectrum Sludge's effectiveness at both sound and thermal insulation make it an excellent choice for commercial transportation projects. Call us to learn more.
- After upholstery or carpet is out, remove loose debris, rust, dirt, and waxy oils to insure a solid contact surface. Most new cars will not need much prep work, while some older vehicles should be treated with a degreaser or solvent.
- Spectrum Sludge is a two-part system. The first part is a bucket of our original vibration coating, Spectrum. The second part is a 6 oz bottle of Sludge activator – the catalyst that turns Spectrum into the sludge-like paste. The more activator you add, the thicker Spectrum gets.
- Slowly mix one 6 oz bottle of Sludge activator for each gallon of Spectrum while stirring rapidly. A paddle mixing drill bit will work best. Do not mix the entire bottle of Sludge activator all at once. The entire process should take about 90 seconds while using an electric paddle. If mixing by hand, the process should take about 5 minutes.
- Once thoroughly mixed to a consistent viscosity, apply Spectrum Sludge to the metal surface. It must be applied at least 1mm thick to properly deaden the metal. We generally recommend a 2mm thick application. At 1mm thick, a gallon will cover about 40 square feet.
- Do not apply more than 2mm in one layer. Spectrum Sludge will skin over and turn from blue to black over 30 to 60 minutes depending on the temperature and humidity. Additional layers can be applied after it has changed color to black.
- Spectrum is easy to clean up with water if done within 30 minutes of applying the product.
- Allow 24 hours before another product or upholstery is installed. Spectrum may be painted or covered with a bed liner after 10 days.
Spectrum Install Guide