Spectrum™ Liquid Sound Deadener
Spectrum is a durable and long-lasting vibration damper that's as good on a hot rod as it is on a metal roof. By reducing sheet metal resonance and structure borne noise, any vehicle can be quieter and more comfortable to drive. Originally formulated as undercoating sound deadening, Spectrum liquid deadener is an awesome substitute anywhere you'd use a sound deadening mat.
- Water based viscoelastic polymer for damping loud metal vibrations
- Lighter than mats at equivalent thickness (recommended: 2-3mm total thickness)
- Enhanced durability for use in extreme environments or outside the vehicle as an undercoating
- Waterproof and rustproof
- Chemical resistant, non-toxic, and odorless once cured
- Temperature rated up to 400°F
- Apply with a brush, roller, or spray gun (see Spectrum Spray Kit for spray applications)
- Proudly made in the USA
| Size Options
|| 1 gallon, 5 gallon, 55 gallon drum
| Square Foot Coverage
|| 20 sq ft per gallon at 2mm thickness
| Total Thickness
|| Recommended 2-3mm, max 5mm
| Layer Thickness
|| Apply in 1mm layers
|| 11 lbs (cured), 14 lbs (wet)
| Water Resistance
|| Waterproof and rustproof
| Temperature Resistance
| Application Temperature
|| Above 50°F for first 24 hour dry period
| Primer Required?
|| Shiny/waxy surfaces will require a primer
Acoustic Loss Factor @ 200Hz
| Spectrum (2mm)
| Spectrum (3mm)
| Spectrum (5mm)
| Tested Properties
|| Blue (wet), Black (cured)
|| 4000 centipoise
| Specific Gravity
| Max Temperature
|| None (when cured), Mild (as solvent)
| Water Resistance
| Shelf Life
|| 1 year (unopened), 30 days (opened)
Product Usage Tips
- Clean up with water within 30 minutes of application. Do not wait longer or Spectrum will dry. Always clean the spray gun between coats by running water through it.
- If applying multiple layers of Spectrum, wait 30-60 minutes for the product to cure and change color from blue to black.
- The temperature must be above 50°F for the entire 24 hours cure period after applying Spectrum. Dry times increase with low temperatures and high humidity. If you expect longer than usual dry times, we recommend thinner layers (0.5mm instead of 1mm) to the same total thickness.
- Spectrum is designed to adhere to metal. Do not apply to plastic or fiberglass without the proper primer. If applying to a high gloss wax coat, you must sand down and apply a primer.
- Do not freeze Spectrum! If it does freeze, do not mix, shake, or move until it has completely thawed.
- Wait 24-36 hours (depending on humidity) before putting upholstery back in the vehicle. Wait 7 to 10 days before painting or applying a bed liner.
- As Spectrum cures, its deadening properties will continue to increase. Vibration damping doubles from 4 hours --> 48 hours, and continues improving for 7 days.
- Spectrum contains rust inhibitors and dries with a seamless finish. It is water resistant and safe to use for boat soundproofing.
- Spectrum is not a bed liner. Even after it has cured, it can be damaged by heavy impact.
- Shelf life of 1 year when stored at room temperature
- Wheel well sound deadening applications require about 2 gallons for all 4 wheel wells (all vehicles) and helps a good bit with soundproofing car road noise.
- Use Spectrum anywhere you have vibrating metal to soundproof the structure, like a car or soundproof shed roof.
- After upholstery or carpet is out, remove loose debris, rust, dirt, and waxy oils to insure a solid contact surface. Clean with denatured alcohol.
- If spraying, mask off all interior and exterior areas of the car for overspray. Cover mechanical parts, wires, and wire harnesses. If you don’t want Spectrum on it, mask it off.
- Spectrum can be applied with a brush or with the Second Skin spray gun.
- The recommended total thickness is 2 to 3 mm for a vehicle. Some commercial applications can do 1mm total thickness. Contact us if you have questions!
- Apply in layers 1mm layers. If Spectrum runs, you are applying it too thick. Always clean the spray gun between layers by running water through it until there's no dark pigment.
- After 30 to 60 minutes (depending on temperature and humidity), Spectrum will skin over and change colors from blue to black. Once Spectrum is black, it’s safe to add another layer.
- Most regular paint guns will not be able to spray Spectrum due to the extremely viscous consistency. We suggest using a HVLP undercoating gun or the Second Skin spray gun. The nozzle and stem must be 2mm.
- Spectrum is easy to clean up with water if done within 30 minutes of applying the product.
- Allow 24-36 hours before another product or upholstery is installed. Spectrum may be painted or covered with a bed liner after 10 days.
Download the Spectrum Install Guide for comprehensive spray on sound deadener and brush on application instructions
Common Product Uses
- Alternative to a peel and stick sound deadening mat. Also can be used in combination with Damplifier Pro for maxed out sound dampening (the mat goes on first, Spectrum on second)
- Personal vehicles (interior, undercoating, wheel wells)
- Commercial vehicle fleets
- Transportation industry (buses, trains)
- Van conversions
- Metal roofs
- Metal carts
- Elevator shafts