Are you looking to make your daily driver as quiet as a luxury car? Or maybe you want to tamp down the noise in your hot rod? Spectrum spray on sound deadener is specifically formulated by Second Skin to permanently reduce sheet metal resonance and structure borne noise. Use Spectrum instead of a sound deadening mat or in combination with them on the hard to reach parts of your vehicle - it's great for undercoating sound deadening and wheel wells. This water based, viscoelastic polymer will stick to just about anything, is easy to clean, environmentally safe, and tested for performance!
- High heat, water based viscoelastic polymer
- Apply in 1mm layers to the recommended 2mm total thickness (can go up to 5mm)
- Excellent for hard to reach parts of your vehicle (undercarriage, wheel wells)
- Temperature rated up to 400°F
- Apply with a brush, roller, or spray gun
- Check out the Spectrum Spray Kit for significant discounts on spray on accessories
- Made in the USA
- Spectrum Product Sheet
Contact us for a quote of Spectrum in 55 gallon drums.
Product Usage Tips
- Clean up with water within 30 minutes of application. Do not wait longer or Spectrum will dry. Always clean the spray gun between coats by running water through it.
- If applying multiple layers of Spectrum, wait 30-60 minutes for the product to cure and change color from blue to black.
- The temperature must be above 50°F for the entire 24 hours cure period after applying Spectrum. Dry times increase with low temperatures and high humidity. If you expect longer than usual dry times, we recommend thinner layers (0.5mm instead of 1mm) to the same total thickness.
- Spectrum is designed to adhere to metal. Do not apply to plastic or fiberglass without the proper primer. If applying to a high gloss wax coat, you must sand down and apply a primer.
- Do not freeze Spectrum! If it does freeze, do not mix, shake, or move until it has completely thawed.
- Wait 24-36 hours (depending on humidity) before putting upholstery back in the vehicle. Wait 7 to 10 days before painting or applying a bed liner.
- As Spectrum cures, its deadening properties will continue to increase. Vibration damping doubles from 4 hours --> 48 hours, and continues improving for 7 days.
- Spectrum contains rust inhibitors and dries with a seamless finish. It is water resistant and safe to use for boat soundproofing.
- Spectrum is not a bed liner. Even after it has cured, it can be damaged by heavy impact.
- Shelf life of 1 year when stored at room temperature
- Wheel well sound deadening applications require about 2 gallons for all 4 wheel wells (all vehicles) and helps a good bit with soundproofing car road noise.
- Use Spectrum anywhere you have vibrating metal to soundproof the structure, like a car or soundproof shed roof.
- After upholstery or carpet is out, remove loose debris, rust, dirt, and waxy oils to insure a solid contact surface. Most new cars will not need much prep work, while some older vehicles should be treated with denatured alcohol.
- Mask off all interior and exterior areas of the car for overspray. Cover any mechanical or moving parts as well as wires and wire harnesses. If you don’t want to cover it in Spectrum, mask it off.
- Spectrum can be applied with a brush or with the Second Skin spray gun. The product will perform either way. Regardless of application method, the goal is to get to a total thickness of 2 to 3 mm. At a minimum, Spectrum must measure 1mm thick to achieve sound deadening results (slightly thicker than a credit card). We recommend 2mm thick, but you can go above that. At 1mm thick, a gallon will cover about 40 square feet.
- Apply in layers of no more than 1mm at a time. If Spectrum runs, you are applying it too thick. Always clean the spray gun between layers by running water through it until there's no dark pigment. After 30 to 60 minutes (depending on temperature and humidity), Spectrum will skin over and change colors from blue to black. Once Spectrum is black, it’s safe to add another layer.
- Most regular paint guns will not be able to spray Spectrum due to the extremely viscous consistency. We suggest using a HVLP undercoating gun or the Second Skin spray gun. Whichever you use, the nozzle and stem must be 2mm.
- Spectrum is easy to clean up with water if done within 30 minutes of applying the product.
- Allow 24-36 hours before another product or upholstery is installed. Spectrum may be painted or covered with a bed liner after 10 days.
Spraying is the most efficient application method to choose for coating irregular surfaces. Prior to spraying Spectrum, everything close to the panel should be covered and masked off for overspray protection. For an airless sprayer, you want at least 3000 psi, a 0.035 - 0.065” nozzle, and a hose less than 1 yard long. You also want to make sure the airless sprayer is capable of spraying elastomeric type materials, as too small of a sprayer won't generate enough pull to properly apply Spectrum. If you use our Second Skin spray gun, we recommend an air compressor with 5-6.5 cfm and 50-80 psi. A 6-gallon tank is ideal. If your compressor is not strong enough, try elevating the bucket higher than the gun and let gravity help out.
Brushing is the more popular choice for applying Spectrum. Simply dip a paint brush into the bucket and paint Spectrum on any metal panel that vibrates.
Spectrum's effectiveness at both sound dampening and thermal insulation make it an excellent choice for commercial transportation projects. Call us to learn more.
Second Skin Spectrum Install Guide