Are you looking to make your daily driver as quiet as a luxury car? Or maybe you want to tamp down the noise in your hot rod? Spectrum spray on sound deadener is specifically formulated by Second Skin to permanently reduce sheet metal resonance and structure borne noise. Use Spectrum instead of a sound deadening mat or in combination with them on the hard to reach parts of your vehicle - it's great for undercoating sound deadening and wheel wells. This water based, viscoelastic polymer will stick to just about anything, is easy to clean, environmentally safe, and tested for performance!
- High heat, water based viscoelastic polymer
- Apply in 1mm layers to the recommended 2mm total thickness (can go up to 5mm)
- Excellent for hard to reach parts of your vehicle (undercarriage, wheel wells)
- Temperature rated up to 400 F
- Apply with a brush, roller, or spray gun
- Made in the USA
Product Usage Tips
- Clean up with water within 30 minutes of application. Do not wait longer or Spectrum will dry.
- If applying multiple layers of Spectrum, wait 30-60 minutes for the product to cure and change color from blue to black.
- Spectrum is designed to adhere to metal. Do not apply to plastic or fiberglass without the proper primer. If applying to a high gloss wax coat, you must sand down and apply a primer.
- Do not freeze Spectrum! If it does freeze, do not mix, shake, or move until it has completely thawed.
- Wait 24-36 hours (depending on humidity) before putting upholstery back in the vehicle. Wait 7 to 10 days before painting or applying a bed liner.
- Spectrum is not a bed liner. Even after it has cured, it can be damaged by heavy impact.
- Shelf life of 1 year when stored at room temperature
- After upholstery or carpet is out, remove loose debris, rust, dirt, and waxy oils to insure a solid contact surface. Most new cars will not need much prep work, while some older vehicles should be treated with denatured alcohol.
- Mask off all interior and exterior areas of the car for overspray. Cover any mechanical or moving parts as well as wires and wire harnesses. If you don’t want to cover it in Spectrum, mask it off.
- Spectrum can be applied with a brush or with the Second Skin spray gun. The product will perform either way. Regardless of application method, the goal is to get to a total thickness of 1 to 3 mm. At a minimum, Spectrum must measure 1mm thick to achieve sound deadening results (slightly thicker than a credit card). We recommend 2mm thick, but you can go above that. At 1mm thick, a gallon will cover about 40 square feet.
- Apply in layers of no more than 1mm at a time. If Spectrum runs, you are applying it too thick. After 30 to 60 minutes (depending on temperature and humidity), Spectrum will skin over and change colors from blue to black. Once Spectrum is black, it’s safe to add another layer.
- Most regular paint guns will not be able to spray Spectrum due to the extremely viscous consistency. We suggest using a HVLP undercoating gun or the Second Skin spray gun. Whichever you use, the nozzle and stem must be 2mm.
- Spectrum is easy to clean up with water if done within 30 minutes of applying the product.
- Allow 24-36 hours before another product or upholstery is installed. Spectrum may be painted or covered with a bedliner after 10 days.
Spraying is the most efficient application method to choose for coating irregular surfaces. Prior to spraying Spectrum, everything close to the panel should be covered and masked off for overspray protection. For an airless sprayer, you want at least 3000 psi, a 0.019” nozzle, and a hose less than 1 yard long. If you use our Second Skin spray gun, you need an air compressor with a minimum 80 psi and a 1.5-foot hose. A 6-gallon tank is ideal. If your compressor is not strong enough, try elevating the bucket higher than the gun and let gravity help out.
Brushing is the more popular choice for applying Spectrum. Simply dip a paint brush into the bucket and paint Spectrum on any metal panel that vibrates.
Spectrum's effectiveness at both sound dampening and thermal insulation make it an excellent choice for commercial transportation projects. Call us to learn more.
Second Skin Spectrum Install Guide