Second Skin Audio: Luxury Liner MLV Roll (1 lb)
Whether you have a big project or you just want to cut up your own mass loaded vinyl, Second Skin has the MLV soundproofing for the job. The Luxury Liner limp mass barrier roll comes in two standard thicknesses (1 lb / sqft and 2 lb / sqft) with the option to purchase a variety of lengths. Each sizing for the 1 lb MLV roll is twice the length and half as thick as it's 2 lb version. All Second Skin MLV rolls are flexible, tear resistant (600 psi), odorless, fire resistant, and safe for automotive use (FMVSS 302 tested). Second Skin Luxury Liner is a building grade sound blocking material for any size soundproofing project, whether it’s the floor of a bus or a wall in a in your home theater. Always use a vinyl adhesive (like our HH-66 contact cement) to ensure a proper bond with the application surfaces.
Luxury Liner 1 lb Mass Loaded Vinyl
- 1/8” thick, raw virgin mass loaded vinyl
- Each roll is 54" wide and comes in lengths of 10ft, 20ft, and 30ft.
- Weight: 1 lb per square foot
- STC rating: 26 (about a double paned window)
- Best for: automotive, Sprinter Van floors, semi-truck sleeper cabs, fitting to curved surfaces
- Made in the USA
- Luxury Liner MLV Roll should be used in combination with a decoupling product for best results. For vehicle applications, we'd recommend OverKill Pro (closed cell foam) or Heat Wave Pro (jute and foil blanket). In residential applications, the MLV noise barrier should be used in combination with drywall and spray foam insulation.
- Cut with a sharp utility knife or a good pair of upholstery scissors
- If building a generator enclosure, you should consider a full roll instead of the smaller sheets you'd use for a generator box.
- Normal adhesives will not work on vinyl. You need a specific product such as our HH-66 Vinyl Contact Cement, Dual Lock Reclosable Fasteners, or to fasten it with nails, screws, or staples.
- If you're looking for a partial roll, we offer smaller sheets as a way to save on mass loaded vinyl price. We have both 1 lb and 2 lb sheets, which are ideally sized for automotive and small home projects.
Recommended Install Locations
- Floor - front firewall all the way back to the rear deck seat wall
- Firewall - cabin side
- Trunk - entire floor including over the wheel wells
- For best results, Luxury Liner should be applied on top of a sound deadener, such as our Damplifier Pro or Spectrum. It’ll be the final layer of your multi-layer sound insulation bubble.
- Choose your decoupler. For the floor of vehicles, we typically recommend OverKill Pro (closed cell foam) or Heat Wave Pro (jute material). OverKill Pro will create an overall better barrier layer, whereas the Heat Wave Pro is a better thermal insulator and sound absorber. You can't go wrong with either product.
- If upholstery or carpet is not already out, remove it. Ensure there’s no loose debris, rust, dirt, or waxy oils.
- Cut Luxury Liner to the desired size with a sharp utility knife or a good pair of scissors. Be sure to cut to a size that will allow you to reinstall the carpet and upholstery trim. Do not cover wires, drain holes, or mechanical devices. This part of the project is more art than science, as you need to have as few gaps as possible in your noise barrier while avoiding interference with other parts of the car.
- Use vinyl cement, such as HH-66 Vinyl Contact Cement, to adhere the Luxury Liner to the decoupler of choice. Apply one coat on the Luxury Liner Vinyl and one to the decoupling product.
- Apply a second adhesive to the decoupler and the foil side of your Damplifier Pro. You can reuse the contact cement again or another one you choose. The decoupling layer should be attached to the foil side of your sound deadener. Apply constant pressure over the entire surface for several minutes to ensure a solid bond.
- Seal any exposed edges or seams with Foil Insulation Tape. The goal is to create as close to an unbroken noise barrier as possible.
- Factory carpet can be replaced immediately. Aftermarket carpet kits can be attached directly to the exposed mass loaded vinyl side of Luxury Liner.
Second Skin Luxury Liner Install Guide
Sound Transmission Loss
STC Rating (1 lb): 26
STC Rating (2 lb): 32